Sunday, May 10, 2009

Hard Times and Holy Places

All of us suffer from trials in this lifetime. Some suffer more than others. Kristen Warner Belcher has certainly had her share. In her lifetime, she has had to have both eyes removed and has also suffered from multiple medical complications. Although she does not deny that she has been through some very bitter times, she has learned how to turn her hard times into holy places. These holy places can be on a hiking trail, in a hospital bed, or in the scriptures. However, the holiest place of all is found in the Savior Jesus Christ.

Reading this book helped me realize just how small my trials are. Honestly, I have nothing to complain about. I was really touched when I read about the operation that led to the removal of her second eye. Going into the operation, nobody thought her eye would have to be removed. She last saw her husband, merely a silhouette, as she was being led into the operation. To her terrible dismay, she found out later that she would never see again. Without warning, she would never be able to look at her husband or two children. She was devastated. I would be as well if I were in her situation. However, through the love of the Lord, she has been able to learn to enjoy life again. Although she still has some down days, she has found ultimate peace from the Savior. She also acknowledges that although the Savior did not always heal her (though in some instances he had), He did give her the strength to endure the challenges.

The book is very easy to read. I almost felt like I just sat down with the author as she told me about her life. Her humor is also very evident in the book and I laughed at a couple of her jokes. I really appreciated reading about somebody else's trials and how I can improve my reaction to the trials I experience, which do not compare to hers. I highly recommend this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment