Thursday, October 24, 2013

As One Crying from the Dust

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed As One Crying from the Dust by Brent L. Top. I had read a book by the same author a while ago called When You Can't Do it Alone and really enjoyed that, but I strongly connected with my most recent read. It is unfortunate that it is now out of print.

This book is a collection of insights from the author of how the Book of Mormon has helped him understand and apply certain concepts. Repeatedly throughout the book, Top insists that it is impossible to "outgrow" the Book of Mormon. This really hit me hard because I have read The Book of Mormon so many times that if you name a random chapter, I can probably tell you exactly what happens in that chapter. It was neat for me to read how the author digs deeper to have a new experience every time.

To back up his insights and thoughts, the author repeatedly uses quotes from general authorities. Perhaps my favorite quote comes from Brigham Young. Top is discussing the topic of prayer, and at one point talks about praying with real intent and not hearkening to the evil spirit that teaches a man not to pray (2 Nephi 32:8). He quotes from Brigham Young who said, "If the Devil says you cannot pray, tell him it is none of his business." I really liked that!

The author also shares a beautiful story to illustrate the principle of charity. He quotes a story from the life of Bruce R. McConkie's grandmother when she was serving as a Relief Society president. She was taking care of a neighbor's family, including their young baby. She was exhausted, but repeatedly offered the assistance this family needed. One day, after arriving home, this good woman fell asleep and dreamed that she was privileged to hold the Christ child and take care of Him. As she awoke she heard the Savior's words, "Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me." That story touched my heart.

This book should never replace a personal study of the scriptures, but for me, it awoke the desire to dig deeper and gain a stronger love for them. Towards the end of the book the author recounts the story of Jacob Hamblin, who asked for a copy of the "Mormon Bible" and received the Old and New Testament. The Holy Bible is our Bible, and we love it and treasure it. The Book of Mormon is an additional volume of scripture that points the way to Christ and confirms the truths of the Bible. How grateful I am for both books!

No comments:

Post a Comment