Friday, November 8, 2013

The Continuous Atonement

Back in 2010 I had read all but one chapter of The Continuous Atonement by Brad Wilcox. When I saw it was the next book on my shelf, I decided to re-read the entire book and not just finish the last chapter. I'm so glad I did! I had forgotten what an incredible book this is!

The basic idea of Wilcox's book is that the atonement of Jesus Christ does not have a limit to it, following the scripture that says, "And as often as my people repent I will forgive them." But there is more to it than that. Sometimes we might think that the Savior's grace won't take effect until we have done everything in our power. This is a false concept. The Savior's grace actually helps us do everything in our power, and then enables us to do even more.

The beauty of the atonement is that it enables us to become better people. It doesn't just restore us to the way we were before, but it enhances us. This book actually shed some light on a concern I've had before. Often, especially when I am very tired, I have the crazy thought that I don't want to live forever. It sounds exhausting to me! Sure, a reunion in Heaven sounds grand, but after that reunion is over, I've struggled with the idea of living forever. I've actually wished there could be an end.

Wilcox discusses how immortality is only a partial gift. The fulness of the gift is an eternal life of progression. In the author's words, "There will always be something more to look forward to and achieve." The quality of life that Christ's atonement makes possible and the many wonderful opportunities before us make eternity a wonderful gift and blessing!

The author also makes a point that hit close to home. He was talking about a time in his life where he felt he was on a roller coaster with ups and downs all day long. I can certainly relate to that! One night, after discussing the way he felt to his wife and expressing a wish that life would be smooth, his wife (who was a nurse) said, "when a heart monitor is showing ups and downs it's a good thing. When it's flat, that's bad. Going up and down means you're still alive." I'm glad I'm still alive!

For anyone seeking to understand the atonement better, and especially for those seeking to understand how it applies to them, I highly recommend this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment