Saturday, May 24, 2014

God Wants a Powerful People

I am a little embarrassed to say that even though Sheri Dew is my boss (CEO of Deseret Book), I have never read any of her books until now. The book I chose, God Wants a Powerful People, is a fantastic book! And no, I'm not getting paid to say that either.

As you can probably tell from the title, the book is a call to action to access the power that God wants to give us. God has made this power available through the atonement of Jesus Christ and the restoration of the Gospel. We access this power through testimony and purity. One of my favorite chapters in this book was probably the last chapter, which defines what it means to be a true follower of Christ.

Sheri Dew bears a powerful testimony throughout the book of the power that comes from attending the House of the Lord. She also spends a portion of the book talking about priesthood power. Her perspective is unique and her testimony powerful. She talks about the clearly distinguished roles of men and women and how ordination to the priesthood for men does not give them any advantage over women, for both are blessed equally through the priesthood.

At one point she says, "God does not love His sons more than His daughters." I agreed with that, giving it no second thought. But then she followed it up with, "And God does not love His daughters more than His sons." That hit me pretty strong. Growing up, I've always heard an emphasis placed on how precious God's daughters are to Him. It seems like we're always trying to place one gender above another in importance, and the reality is that God loves both equally. Both are precious to Him.

For a good, uplifting book that will encourage the reader to keep striving to live the Gospel, I highly recommend God Wants a Powerful People.

No comments:

Post a Comment