Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Graveyard Book

I guess my first review will be the book I most frequently read. Maybe I'll work backwards a little since I have read so much this semester, though I might interject a few books I've read in the past.

Anyway, my first review is of The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. It tells the story of Nobody Owens (he goes by Bod), a young mortal boy being raised by ghosts in a graveyard. While in the graveyard, he is capable of certain ghost-like qualities that do not work once he leaves (for example, the ability to walk through walls, or tombstones as the case may be). He is conflicted with the idea of staying in the graveyard or searching for the man named Jack, who killed Bod's parents when he was just a baby.

It is absolute brilliant work. My favorite part about it, though is when Bod is talking to Silas, his guardian about wanting to go out into the world. Silas warns him that the man named Jack is still searching for him, wanting to kill him. Bod replies, "It's only death. I mean, all of my best friends are dead." Silas then tells him, "Yes . . . they are. And they are, for the most part, done with the world. You are not. You are alive, Bod. That means you have infinite potential. You can do anything, make anything, dream anything. If you change the world, the world will change. Potential. Once you're dead, it's gone . . . That potential is finished."

A book about a boy raised by ghosts makes the reader ponder the meaning of life and all it has to offer. I loved this reflection. I highly recommend this book to anyone. I normally do not like books with ghosts and supernatural creatures, but The Graveyard Book is definitely the exception to the rule.

No comments:

Post a Comment