Sunday, March 22, 2009

The Hourglass Door

This book has not yet been released, but around June 16th, hurry to the nearest bookstore and buy The Hourglass Door by Lisa Mangum. I read an Advanced Reader's Copy from Deseret Book and I absolutely loved it! It was another book that I just could not put down. I read the entire thing in less than five hours. I don't want to give anything away, so I am going to be very careful about how I mention it.

The book is about a girl named Abby. She is a high school senior who has always had her life planned out for her, from her boyfriend to college. But she hates having things so predictable all the time. When she considers going to a different college, her best friend freaks out. When she mentions not going bowling for her birthday, her parents can't believe it. She wants something different! So she gets it. A new boy named Dante arrives at her school. He says he is a foreign-exchange student from Italy. But there is something mysterious about this boy. And what is his connection to the band "Zero Hour" that has arrived to play in town? And why, when she is with him, does time go berserk? Ah! I wish I could tell you, but you have to find out for yourself!

Both the writing and the storytelling in this book are superb. Honestly, I cannot believe that this is Lisa Mangum's first book. The storyline is intriguing with several twists and turns that made me laugh, go wide-eyed, and loudly whisper, "No way!" One of my favorite parts of the whole book was when I got the very end and saw an advertisement for a sequel. I was so excited that there is going to be more!!! Girls will love this book for the romance aspect, especially if they liked Twilight. Boys will like this book because of intriguing history, abilities, and science (and if you're like me, a little romance never hurts as long as it doesn't go too far). Stephanie Meyer, it's time to step aside and allow Lisa Mangum to take the stage. This book has earned her a very prominent and well-deserved position.

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely LOVED this book!! I can't wait until the sequel is published. The story is well told and, like you said, full of twists and turns to keep you right in the middle of it. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete