Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Surround Yourself with Greatness


A few years ago I received a copy of Surround Yourself with Greatness by Chad Lewis as a gift, and it was even signed by him. I didn’t really know who Chad Lewis was, not being a huge football fan. As a result, I wasn’t in much of a hurry to read the book. Now, after having finished it, I deeply regret my procrastination. This book was very inspirational!

Lewis describes a time on his mission when he decided he wanted to only surround himself with greatness throughout his life. He no longer wanted to watch bad movies or listen to crude music. He only wanted to be surrounded by things that would uplift him and inspire him to be a better person. This desire to be surrounded by greatness branched out to include people he considered great.

Although his book could be considered a memoir, I found it to be an engaging read of what it means to be great. I am not deeply passionate about football, and yet I was entranced by Lewis’s stories playing for BYU and in the NFL, not because he won or lost certain games or championships, but because I was learning how to recognize greatness in the people I know in my own life.

Whether you love football or hate it, you will likely find this a wonderful book. I believe most people feel the inner desire to be better, to reach upward, and to cling to role models we wish to emulate. This book helps you learn how to do that. Chad Lewis tells a good story (ok, several good stories), and is very real and honest with the reader. Pictures throughout the book help to bring his stories to life. I can’t imagine somebody reading this book and being disappointed. Give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment