Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The Savior in Kirtland


I had the opportunity to meet Karl Anderson while doing the BYU semester in Nauvoo. We visited Kirtland as part of that opportunity and he spoke to our group. His book, Joseph Smith's Kirtland, was also required reading for the semester. That is why I was excited when I saw his new book, The Savior in Kirtland on the shelf.
When I write these reviews, part of me feels obligated to be a fair critic to whoever reads these posts. But at the same time, when I am biased in favor of the book, it is easy for me to overlook any supposed faults. I will just be short and say this book uses the same quotes several times, which can be repetitive. However, sometimes the significance of these quotes didn't really hit me until the second or third time reading them. Therefore, I find it easy to overlook these faults.

I am not sure how to do this book justice. There is a wonderful spirit I felt while reading it. I learned so much about "The Vision" received by Joseph Smith and Sidney Rigdon. I learned that at least 23 people saw the Savior in Kirtland, not just Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery. Some even saw the Father. Through this book, I was able to see the manner in which many promises from the Doctrine and Covenants were fulfilled.

I also loved the last few chapters of the book that discussed the significance of the events that happened in Kirtland. The bestowal of keys by Moses, Elias (possibly Noah), and Elijah were incredible! I understood the importance of Elijah's keys, but I gained greater understanding of the importance of the keys restored by the other two prophets.

The epilogue of the book teaches that Kirtland's miracles did not end with Joseph Smith leaving. Although a scourge truly did fall upon Kirtland, it is now being restored to its former glory. The author shares two stories of recent events where the Lord's hand can be seen. I will always love Kirtland, and this book only made my love for it grow deeper.


No comments:

Post a Comment