Saturday, June 29, 2013

Regional Studies in LDS Church History: California

I acquired a copy of Regional Studies in LDS Church History: California (published by Brigham Young University) mainly because I used to live in California. For the most part, I really enjoyed this collection of essays. I learned a lot of neat facts that I didn't know before, and I also got to read multiple stories that were often entertaining and always informative.

One of the most interesting stories contained in this volume is Donald Q. Cannon's essay on Sam Brannan. I had heard the name before and I knew that he didn't listen to the counsel of Brigham Young, but that was just the beginning. He also went on to become California's first millionaire. He abandoned the Church completely succumbed to his demons of alcohol and adultery. He eventually died penniless and alone. His story is a tragic one, but also really makes you focus on what is most important.

I really enjoyed the essays that discussed the Mormon Battalion. I knew about the circumstances under which the Battalion was called, I knew about their march, and I knew they didn't have to engage in combat. However, I had no idea just how many challenges they endured on their march. I loved reading about their march and learning more about the historic group to which my ancestor Ruel Barrus belonged.

I loved essays that talked about the experiences of certain general authorities in California, and I was very intrigued by the account of members living in San Francisco who endured the terrible earthquake and the fires that followed. But perhaps one of my most favorite essays was Jeremiah K. Clark's on the San Diego temple. Since that is where I was married, I had a particular interest in that temple's history.

The research done by the authors was very thorough. I learned that this is just the first of several volumes of regional church history published by BYU. I would be interested in reading the research they did in their other works.

No comments:

Post a Comment