Friday, July 5, 2013

Far World: Air Keep

Far World: Air Keep, the third volume in the series by J. Scott Savage was a long time coming. Far World, Fablehaven, and 13 Reality are three series that were published by Shadow Mountain that all originally came out around the same time. Of all the Shadow Mountain series, Far World was my favorite. I was very sad when the third book was indefinitely delayed. Finally it was released, and it did not disappoint!

I was extremely nervous almost right away when I learned this book was going to deal with time travel. In all my readings, I have only been satisfied with one author's use of time travel (J. K. Rowling's in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban). Fortunately, Savage does an excellent job with time travel in his book, making it the second book to satisfy me as far as time travel goes.

I don't want to say a lot about the content of the book. A fictional book is hard to review because you don't want to spoil anything. All that I will say is that the characters are just as engaging as ever. Savage really makes you care about the characters in these books. The world he created is extraordinary, and I love the cultures and rules he has imagined. Far World really seems like a real place.

I was also impressed that the author began this book with a brief synopsis of the first two books in the series. This was extremely helpful, especially because it has been so long since the last book came out. I thought that was very considerate of the author. This book is really enjoyable and I highly encourage any fantasy-lover to read the Far World series. I can hardly wait for the next book!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks! We'll try not to make you wait so long for the next one!

    ReplyDelete