Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Great Are the Words of Isaiah

I just finished reading Great Are the Words of Isaiah by Monte S. Nyman. This is the second commentary on Isaiah that I have read this year, and I really loved this version. My favorite thing about it is that it wasn't broken up into individual chapters. Rather, it was divided by themes. The author tried his past to group the chapters together the way that Isaiah likely originally had them grouped.

Furthermore, in addition to a few personal interpretations (although the author was usually really good about admitting guesswork), Nyman provides commentary from the other Standard Works, as well as the writings of church leaders to clarify passages in Isaiah. I was amazed at how much Isaiah was quoted in the New Testament by Paul, and even more amazed at how much commentary and clarification exists in the Doctrine and Covenants. Elder Orson Pratt also gives many clarifying statements to help us understand and apply Isaiah.

The appendix was also very interesting. The author lists every scripture in Isaiah that is quoted or paraphrased anywhere else in scripture. The author then shows how much variation exists from Isaiah in our current Bible verses the other places where the same passages are used. I loved the comparisons and how much they enlightened the passages for me.

I honestly don't know if this book is in print or not, but if you are looking for a great commentary on Isaiah, I highly recommend this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment