Tuesday, August 6, 2013

History of the Church Vol. 4

So far, Volume 4 of History of the Church might be my favorite volume. This might be because it begins the Nauvoo period, and I have a special place in my heart for Nauvoo. But there are many other things I enjoyed. I want to share some of them.

On page 120, Brigham Young writes to Joseph Smith. I was touched by the end of his letter: "I request one favor of you, that is, a letter from you, that I may hear from my friends. I trust that I will remain your friend through life and eternity." I thought this was really neat, and gives some insight into the brotherhood that existed between these two men.

On page 264, Brigham Young explains how the scriptures could be interpreted that the Lord hardened Pharaoh's heart. The Lord testified to Pharaoh so clearly through the signs and wonders, that Pharaoh had two choices: repent, or harden his heart. Because the Lord only left him two choices, it was interpreted that the Lord hardened his heart.

On page 335, Parley P. Pratt has a small humorous poem. They had met together for a conference, and someone brought a cake that lifted their spirits. Parley concludes his poem with: "When sinking in sorrow/Fresh courage we'll take/As we think of our friends/And remember the cake." This made me chuckle.

On page 445, Joseph Smith explains that charity covers sins. Those who do not accuse others of sins will actually have their own forgiven. This is similar to the Savior's teaching that "Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy."

Another neat thing about this volume was the dedicatory prayer of Elder Orson Hyde in Jerusalem. I enjoyed reading all about his mission to the Holy Land.

Page 461 included the famous quote about the Book of Mormon being the keystone of our religion.

Page 475 talks about tithing. The Lord expects us to pay tithing on what we currently have, rather than speculate what we might have, or hold off because we might be able to pay more in the future.

This volume also included the famous Wentworth Letter, as well as the founding of the Relief Society.

I was really touched by a short discourse by the prophet where he explained why some infants pass away. On page 553 Joseph Smith says, "The Lord takes many away, even in infancy, that they may escape the envy of man, and the sorrows and evils of this present world. They were too pure, too lovely, to live on earth." What a profound and comforting statement!

Last of all, I enjoyed the many discourses in this book regarding baptisms for the dead. During on discourse, on page 596, Joseph Smith said (quoting 1 Peter 3:19-20): "Here then we have an account of our Savior preaching to the spirits in prison, to spirits that had been imprisoned from the days of Noah. And what did He preach to them? That they were to stay there? Certainly not!" While I found this statement funny, it also struck me how the prophet was able to lay everything out in plain light that it might easily be discerned.

I am looking forward to continuing this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment