Friday, August 9, 2013

The Sisters Grimm

I have had The Sisters Grimm by Matthew Buckley sitting on my shelf for a while now. The other night I was in the mood for some fiction, so I picked this one up and read most of it before going to bed. I didn't realize it at the time, but it is apparently the first book in a series of nine.

As I have said before, it is always difficult to review a fictional work, because I do not want to give away part of the plot. Basically, the story is about two sisters, Sabrina and Daphne Grimm, who go to live with their grandmother in Ferryport Landing. Their grandmother is a little eccentric (and Sabrina isn't even convinced she's their real grandmother). As events unfold, they realize they are part of an amazing legacy that has a very close connection to what the girls always believed were fairy tales. A connection that, at times, may seem a little too close for comfort.

The story was engaging (remember, I read most of it in one night), but I wasn't jumping into my car to go buy the next book when I finished. If I had the next book, I certainly wouldn't mind reading it, but this book didn't pull me in enough to actively seek out and finish the rest of the series.

On a personal note, I found the book both inspiring and discouraging when it comes to my own writing. I am working on a fairy tale book of my own. I was disappointed to see that some of my ideas had already been used in this book. But maybe that just means they really are good ideas, right?

Overall, this was an entertaining read. My mom would call something like this "brain candy."

No comments:

Post a Comment