Wednesday, January 29, 2014

EFY 2002: We Believe

I received the book EFY 2002: We Believe during my second year at EFY. The second year was not as good as the first, but it still holds some nice memories. The coolest part is that I got to go this time with my sister Katy. Anyway, I digress. Onto my favorite discourses in this book.

A significant thing about this is that it was the first EFY after the attacks on September 11th. Several of the speakers mentioned these attacks. Some were trying to comfort the youth who were affected by it. But my favorite discourse that centered around the attacks was by David Buckner. He talked about the importance of remembering. He lived in New York City when the attacks happened and he describes it from his point of view. He teaches the lessons he learned that day. And just as he will always remember that day's events, so must we always remember our purpose on earth. My summary doesn't do it justice, but it is a great talk.

I loved Steve Adams' discourse on keeping the sabbath day holy. My favorite idea that he listed was to pick a theme for each Sunday, such as missionary work and have your sabbath activities centered around that. Doing so will help the entire family focus on keeping the sabbath holy.

Randal A. Wright gives a great discourse on living with no regrets. Whenever I write my brothers serving a mission, I usually end my letters that way--"Serve with no regrets!" In Wright's talk, he gives some examples of things we might regret and also provides solutions to help us make better choices.

There were other good talks as well about obtaining forgiveness and being clean, gaining a testimony, and even a couple on the Word of Wisdom. These talks will be great to use as a reference in FHE and especially as my children get older.

1 comment:

  1. I attended this efy as well. I'm currently working on my lesson for relief society and can't find this book! If you have it and could help me I would really appreciate it. In the book (I think at the end) President Hinkley leaves a testimony.. I remember it saying "It either happened or it didn't, there is no gray area" If you could would you please send me the whole testimony. I think it would really do wonders for my lesson tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete