Thursday, January 30, 2014

Joseph's Smith's Kirtland

I purchased a copy of Joseph Smith's Kirtland by Karl Ricks Anderson during the travel study I did in Nauvoo in 2003. During the semester, I had the opportunity to visit Kirtland and hear Brother Anderson speak at a fireside. He also signed my book for me. I read parts of the book during the semester, but now I can say I have read the whole thing cover to cover.

Right at the beginning of the book, the author reminds the reader of the important role Kirtland played in the Church's history. Some of the greatest spiritual manifestations of this dispensation occurred there. Most of the Doctrine and Covenants was received in that area. And yet, it seems that for the most part we rarely think of Kirtland. the purpose of the book is to explore the many elements of the Church's residence in Kirtland.

The author does a great job of sticking to the history of Kirtland and its surrounding cities, and only lightly touches on missionary efforts going on elsewhere, or events happening in Missouri. He explores everything from the highest spiritual manifestations to the lowest pit of apostasy. Anderson fills each chapter with journal entries so that an accurate picture could be painted of what life was like for the early saints.

One of my personal favorite chapters was about the Kirtland Safety Society bank, or anti-bank as it should properly be called. I knew about this whole affair, but I didn't know all the details. The saints did nothing different than what many other institutions were doing. However, there were two main things working against them: the hatred of their enemies, and the lust for quick wealth by those in charge of the bank. These two factors, combined with the economic collapse of 1837 (which effected nearly everybody everywhere) led to the demise of the institution and the trial of fire for many of the saints.

It was so peculiar to me to read about the fall of some of the early leaders. They had experienced such wonderful visions and manifestations, but the love of money polluted them so completely that many of them sunk to the level of murderers. It is a lesson that nobody is safe from apostasy.

The book is very uplifting and certainly strengthens testimony. I highly recommend this book to anybody, but especially those interested in Church History.

No comments:

Post a Comment