Saturday, June 28, 2014

A Conspiracy of Kings

A Conspiracy of Kings is the most recent book in the series by Megan Whalen Turner. I may have mentioned this before, but I often am left feeling very dissatisfied with the final book of a series. That has been true for a number of books that I have read. Now, I don't know for sure if this will be the final book, but if it is, it is a severe disappointment.

This book hardly focuses on Eugenides at all. It is actually about Sophos, one of Gen's traveling mates in the first book. Sophos is now King of Sounis, a rival kingdom of Attolia. It has been engaged in a civil war and a foreign nation is more than happy to help conquer it. The story is told mostly in first person and it is all about Sophos' rise to power and the challenges he faces along the way.

I was severely disappointed that there wasn't more of the book with Eugenides. He is the character I have become invested in. While Sophos' story is interesting, I did not feel the same connection. The ending of the book was weird and abrupt, although it did contain a resolution. I just wasn't happy with it.

The first three books were great. The fourth is not. The swearing in the last two books picks up a little as well, which I don't really care for. Hopefully there will be a fifth book to redeem the series from this last one.

No comments:

Post a Comment