Thursday, August 9, 2018

Cleaning the Kingdom

Last year at the D23 Expo in Anaheim, CA I got to meet both Ken Pellman and Lynn Barron, authors of Cleaning the Kingdom and hosts of the podcast The Sweep Spot. I had heard about their book previously from the Facebook group that I belong to, and so I decided to purchase it from the authors and have them sign it.

The book covers just about every topic you could imagine that sweepers at Disneyland would experience. The authors shared some insider information on how the park works (which sometimes got really repetitive as they described what cleaning each land was like), but the authors also included a lot of fun history and cast member perspectives of park events and changes.

Some of the stories were disturbing (it's crazy to learn about what some guests try to get away with at the park!) while other stories that, although maybe gross in nature, were pretty hysterical. I think my favorite story was of when Disneyland was doing a circus theme and had real elephants marching down Main Street. Elephants urinate more than horses do, and the cast members were unprepared for that. They had just filled a barrel with elephant urine, when the barrel tipped over and sent a wave towards the guests on the curb watching the parade. I am SO glad I wasn't there for that, but it was sure funny to read about later!

Having read the book once, I don't think I would ever read the whole thing again. It seems to be more useful as a reference book. But the authors did a great job telling their stories and they maintain an entertaining voice to read throughout the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment