Thursday, November 1, 2018

The Blueprint of Christ's Church

My first exposure to Tad R. Callister was his book The Infinite Atonement, which is probably the best book on the atonement I had ever read. Because I loved that book so much, I am embarrassed to say that I just now finished his book The Blueprint of Christ's Church. I am glad I finally read it, though.

The main premise of the book is that Christ's church in New Testament times serves as a blueprint to help the modern-day seeker of truth identify the true church today. Any alteration to these blueprints needs to come by revelation. We see this happen in the New Testament itself. One such example is the Savior's instruction to His disciples to only preach the Gospel to the children of Israel, followed by a later revelation to Peter to take the Gospel to the gentiles as well.

Callister focuses on organization and doctrine to lay out a blueprint for Christ's church, then carefully demonstrates how the only church that follows this blueprint is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Towards the end of the book, he tells of an experience where he was talking with someone who was considering leaving the church because of some issues he had with its history. The author asked him if he believed in a pre-mortal life, in three degrees of glory, in salvation for the dead, and many more things. The man declared that he did believe all these things firmly. The author then explained that the only church that teaches all these doctrines is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Was he willing to give all that up because of some issues he had with the Church's history?

Callister not only opens the scriptures to highlight key doctrines of the Church of Jesus Christ, but he also provides many examples from the first century or two of Christianity from surviving records. These records sometimes reinforce doctrines unique to the restored Church of Jesus Christ, and at other times they provide insight to the beginning of false doctrines prevalent in other churches today. It was so neat to me to be able to learn from these additional witnesses.

One of my favorite quotes in the whole book comes from the chapter on faith. He says, "Every time we are negative, it is like throwing water on the fire of faith; every time we are positive, it is like adding fuel to the flames of faith. Negativism is Satan's tool; optimism is God's" (page 135).

I borrowed this book from our store library, but I liked it so much that I will be purchasing my own copy to have in my personal library.

No comments:

Post a Comment