Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Making Sense of the Doctrine and Covenants


Since we are studying the Doctrine and Covenants this year for Sunday School, I decided to read Steven C. Harper’s Making Sense of the Doctrine and Covenants. I enjoyed the insights that Harper provided so much, that I immersed myself in the Doctrine and Covenants and read the entire book in just three months, rather than spreading my reading out over the entire year.

Harper dedicates a chapter in his book to nearly every section in the Doctrine and Covenants (sometimes he combines a few sections into one chapter). He then divides each chapter into three sections: origin, content, and outcomes. He explains the circumstances surrounding the reception of the revelation. I gained so much insight this way, and it really brought the revelations to life for me. Then, when discussing content, Harper glosses over the section, just giving a summary of it while letting the reader drink more deeply through personal effort. Finally, the outcomes explain how the revelation was received and what happened as a direct result thereof.

Among many other things, I highly enjoyed learning more about consecration. I loved learning exactly what the Lord expects when He command us to consecrate everything to Him. I also felt like I was on a journey with Joseph Smith and I got to know his concerns and ambitions very well. It was incredible to see how much he yearned to extend the choicest blessings to the saints, and the deep challenge it was to prepare them for the blessings.

Reading this book has made me want to read further on early members of the Church, whether or not they stayed faithful. If you have ever wanted to make the historical portion of the Doctrine and Covenants come to life and make more sense, I highly recommend this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment