Thursday, May 16, 2013

Change Your Questions, Change Your Life

To be honest, I can't remember why I bought Change Your Questions, Change Your Life by Wendy Watson Nelson. I purchased it when it was first released a few years ago. I read the first chapter, then put it on the bookshelf, never to be picked up again until this past week. I'm very glad I chose to read it again, because it gave me great insight and inspiration.

I actually had a hard time getting into it at first. This is definitely a self-help book. Hmm... actually, that might not be an accurate description. We'll just call it a help book. This means it requires you to ponder, write down thoughts and feelings, and do other things that prevent you from just casually reading the book. However, by doing these things, you have a remarkable experience.

I wasn't sucked into the book until chapter 5, where the author goes into detail with seven different questions that can have life-changing results. Great questions are found throughout the book, but I found these seven particularly meaningful. They are:

  1. What is on my premortal list of things to do while on Earth? This one I liked because I am definitely a list kind of person. I can totally imagine myself making a to-do list before being born. 
  2. What is the one questions I most need to have answered from the scriptures today? The author testifies that as we read the scriptures for a specific answer, we will find it. But we must read with dedication and the Spirit.
  3. What are three words to follow for a great life? The author suggests, as a possible answer, the words: Not Even Once. These can be used to resist temptation, but also to make sure to never miss an opportunity to do good.
  4. Whose agenda is this supporting? If we asked ourselves this question before every activity, would it change how we spent our time? What movies or TV shows we watch? What websites we go to?
  5. If I were to pray for and picture the Holy Ghost being right beside me, how would I manage this difficult situation? Pretty self-explanatory.
  6. How can I be more of my true self at the end of this experience? What a great question! This helps us let go of resentment during difficult challenges and helps us draw closer to God.
  7. What do I know to be true? Find your testimony, record it, feed it, and guard it.
I am glad I read this book. The questions it asks the reader to ponder and apply are quite remarkable. I hope to change my life by asking and applying these questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment