Thursday, May 23, 2013

Of All Things

(Not the cover on my book)
To my surprise, I really enjoyed reading Of All Things: A Nibley Quote Book, compiled by Gary P. Gillum. I wasn't too sure about this book at first. My first exposure to Hugh Nibley a few years ago was a derogatory remark he made about Disneyland. I wasn't necessarily anti-Nibley, I just wasn't in a rush to read him. I'm glad I started with this book, because it gave me great insight into the incredible man that was Hugh Nibley.

One of my favorite things about him is his understanding of truth. I can't stand it when people say, "That might be true for you, but it's not true for me." Truth is truth. Nothing that we say, think, believe, or do can change what truth is. All we can do is blind ourselves and others to it. Nibley has basically said this same thing on multiple occasions. One of my favorite quotes was the first one in the book: "What on earth have a man's name, degree, academic position, and, of all things, opinions, to do with whether a thing is true or not?"

I loved his commentary on the Book of Mormon. I love how he defends its truthfulness as well as its importance. Says he, "Angels do not come on trivial errands, to deliver books for occasional light reading." That really puts things into perspective, and I felt the need to be more serious about my scripture study.

His teachings on the Book of Abraham are the best I have read, and the most satisfying to my inquisitive soul. I loved his remarks on our society, and the comparison between Zion and Babylon. He helped me recognize my own cottage in Babylon and how to abandon it once and for all. Most of all, I appreciated his humility and his quenchless thirst for knowledge.

I am now excited to read more by Hugh Nibley. This was a great book to start with, and is one of the best quote books I have ever read.

No comments:

Post a Comment