Sunday, May 12, 2013

Strange Roads and Forbidden Paths

I found Strange Roads and Forbidden Paths by Richard G. Moore very interesting! The book talks about apostasy, beginning with Adam's day all the way down to the present. Some of the stories are mind-boggling. It is almost inconceivable how some people in the Church have fallen away. But the author's message is clear: nobody is immune from apostasy. Each person needs to nourish their testimony as we read in Alma 32, or else it will die. There are too many elements attacking us. We cannot be fooled into thinking that we can do nothing and our testimonies will survive.

To fortify ourselves against apostasy, the author gives several situations that can lead down that forbidden path. These could be anything from a lust for wealth and power to genuine deception by the adversary. However, the root of all these problems is pride. Pride led Cain to murder Abel.  It led Judas to betraying Jesus. And it continues to lead many people out of the Church today. Even many people in the Church are apostates at heart, though they cling tight to their memberships. Influences of apostasy are all around us, and we must be on guard.

This book has caused me to reflect quite a bit. I have been personally attacked by anti-mormon junk. I'll be perfectly honest. I do not have a satisfying answer to every question. There are some things that I just plain don't understand. When I dwell on these things, I confess that doubt begins to cloud my mind. That is why I don't dwell on them. The Spirit does not cloud minds, it enlightens them. When I think of the Book of Mormon, I am filled with a deep conviction that it is true. I have received an undeniable witness from the Holy Ghost that Joseph Smith is a prophet. I have seen the power of the priesthood in action. I have witnessed miracles. I have never seen an angel, nor have I seen the Savior. I would love such an experience, but it would do nothing to make me any more certain of these things I already know.

I am reminded of the apostle Peter in John 6. After the Savior taught the Bread of Life sermon, many of His disciples abandoned Him. Jesus turned to the twelve and asked if they would also go away. Peter replied, "Lord, where else shall we go? Thou hast the words of eternal life." This is how I feel about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I don't understand some things. Some parts of church history confuse me and are not very clear. But where else can I go? The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has indeed the words of eternal life, with Jesus as its Head. This is a fact I know deep in my heart and I cannot deny. I continue in faith, with confidence in the Lord that He will one day reveal all things to my understanding.

While reading this book, I have enjoyed some correspondence with the author. His humor and insight are very enjoyable, and can both be found in this book. He and I agree that the message contained in this book is a very important and timely message. As the latter days wind to a close, we will need to be stronger than ever. The teachings found in this book will help us do all we can to keep us safe from those strange roads and forbidden paths of apostasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment