Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Carried

I remember well when the news reported that Annie Schmidt was missing, and later when her body was found. Perhaps one reason why it got more publicity than other missing person cases is because she is the daughter of Jon Schmidt of the Piano Guys. The book Carried is written by Michelle Schmidt, and gives us the perspective of Annie's mother as they searched for her daughter's body. I learned more details about the search than I had previously known, but that is not what made me enjoy this book so much. I enjoyed hearing the accounts of faith and divine inspiration from so many people involved in the search.

If I had to choose just one part from the book that impacted me the most, I would probably say it was this: "I don't believe that Heavenly Father caused Annie to die, nor that  her passing was necessarily His will. But I do believe that all things work together for good to them that love God, and that God is able to bless and guide His children in such a way that the most possible good can come of a tragedy such as this."

I loved how the author didn't just tell the store of searching for Annie and the faith, prayers and miracles that went into it. She also told of earlier experiences in her life that prepared her for this experience. She talks about learning to recognize the voice of the Lord, learning how to truly pray with faith, and trusting in God's wisdom and plan. Even though they did not find Annie alive, or even find her body as quickly as they would have liked, the author shares several experiences she had that let her know God was aware of her. She truly experienced many tender mercies throughout what could only be called a nightmare.

A very tender part of the book actually takes place at the end, where several tributes to Annie are included from people who knew her. These tributes helped me get to know Annie better. They made me ponder how I could be a better person.

I am grateful that Michelle Schmidt was willing to share her experience and testimony through this book. Because I read it, I want to be a better person. I want to learn to trust in the Lord the way she did.

No comments:

Post a Comment