Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Dragonwatch: Wrath of the Dragon King

I have enjoyed Brandon Mull's Fablehaven series for many years now. Book two, Rise of the Evening Star, is the book that really hooked me into the series, especially with the cliffhanger ending (read it, if you haven't yet). His new series takes place less than a year after the end of Fablehaven, and it is always so much fun to jump back into that world. That is why I was excited for the release of the second book in his new series: Dragonwatch: Wrath of the Dragon King.

It's always hard to write about a fictional book, because I don't want to give away anything in case the reader of this blog wants to read the book for themselves. So, with that being said, I will try not to spoil anything too important, but I can't help but discuss certain parts of the book.

Both Kendra and Seth seem to have matured in this book, even more than the last book. Seth was much less willing to do brash and foolish things, even when tempted by a dark creature at one point. I thought it was fun with one part of the book where the brother and sister had to be without their special powers for a certain time.

I loved the way that Brandon Mull built up suspense about Stormguard Castle. At first it was just casually mentioned, but already as a reader I wanted to learn more about it. Then it kept coming up again and again, building more suspense each time. Finally, it became a crucial part of the plot line, and I loved every minute of it!

The pacing of this book was very fast! All of the events in it take place in about two days. Because of that, there weren't really any slow parts, and yet so many of the characters were still very well developed. That being said, there were a few times where I felt like things were rushed a little too quickly, especially scenes involving the cousins Knox and Tess. I have no trouble accepting magic, dragons, fairies, etc. But the reaction and treatment of these two children seemed a little unrealistic regarding the circumstances of the book.

As I neared the end of the book, I couldn't believe I had so few pages left, and yet so much more than I felt still needed to happen! And then it happened--Brandon Mull gave the cliffhanger of all cliffhangers! Obviously I can't tell you what it is, but I did NOT see it coming! It was extremely well done. The only problem? I probably have to wait an entire year for the next book! Hats off to the author for making me care this much, and making me so invested in the story!

I definitely recommend this book and this series. I'm glad Brandon Mull decided to return to the Fablehaven world. I am looking forward to the next three books!

No comments:

Post a Comment