Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Following Christ


Since Following Christ is a companion to Stephen E. Robinson’s other book, I decided to read this next. From the very beginning, the book hooked me as a reader and really made me ponder about what it means to endure to the end. Robinson discusses a common belief in the Church that we are enduring to the end to try to qualify for the Celestial Kingdom. Using several analogies, he explains that after baptism and confirmation, we are already in the kingdom unless we choose to live it. We don’t have to be perfect right now to qualify for it. What matters is that we are faithfully striving towards perfection through Christ, while remaining perfect in Him.

God knew that we would still make mistakes after baptism. That is why He has provided the sacrament. If I were to die right now in good standing with the Church, being truly and genuinely converted and active in the Gospel (not just pretending to be), then I can be assured that I will inherit the Celestial Kingdom, even if I’m not completely perfect yet. The Kingdom of God on earth is the Church. If I qualify for the Kingdom of God here, then I also qualify for the Kingdom of God in heaven.

This is what the scriptures try to teach when they say we must have faith, hope, and charity. If we have faith in Christ, if we have entered into His covenant of baptism, then we must have hope that we will make it to the Celestial Kingdom, rather than live in constant worry about qualifying. And if we have this faith and hope, then we must endure to the end by having charity, learning to love as He loves, and letting that love govern our actions. I really enjoy how Robinson is able to simply explain these doctrines. His book also contains warnings that I thought were very profound and important. This is another book that I think every member would do well to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment