Friday, July 25, 2014

From First Date to Chosen Mate



I believe I was given a copy of Brenton G. Yorgason’s From First Date to Chosen Mate when I turned sixteen. I read parts of it on and off throughout the years. Ironically, now that I have married for three years, I finally read the whole book from cover to cover. The book is filled with fantastic advice for anybody in the dating stage, no matter what part of that stage you’re in.

My favorite part of this book is a story that the author reprints of a first date from the perspective of both the girl and the guy. The purpose of the story is to show how guys and girls think differently and the importance of good communication, but it does so in a very humorous manner. From the girl’s perspective, the date is a complete disaster, while the guy ends up falling head over heels for her.

This book also talks about the importance of setting boundaries, especially as far as physical affection goes. It made me reflect on my own experience dating Amy. We had standards set from the very beginning and it made our courtship easy. I can therefore highly endorse the author’s counsel.

Another neat aspect of this book, especially for teenagers, is a chapter that really focuses on what love is and how to differentiate it from infatuation. Using the checklist of feelings provided, a couple can determine how to make their relationship more substantial. All in all, it’s a great book containing principles that will never become outdated, because when all is said and done, the principles contained in this book are centered on the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment