Wednesday, July 2, 2014

The Neil A. Maxwell Quote Book

I have always been an admirer of Neal A. Maxwell and was sad when he passed away just months before I left for my mission. Years before that, however, his son, Cory H. Maxwell, compiled a variety of quotes and published it as The Neal A. Maxwell Quote Book. Twelve years later, it was republished as an illustrated edition. This is the version I purchased and read.

Of course every quote in this book is fantastic. It certainly made me evaluate my life, my thoughts, my attitudes, and my actions. Let me share just a few of my favorite quotes.

"There is a clear and obvious difference between being 'given' a 'thorn in the flesh,' as Paul was, and willingly impaling ourselves on the spears of sin."

"We chose not to follow Lucifer once: let us not go back on that decision now!"

"Unless we fix families, you can't fix anything else. Most of the problems that are most vexing are things government can't fix. They have to be fixed at a different level. That's the urgency of our message. I'd rather have ten commandments than ten thousand federal regulations...Unless we rebuild marriages and families, then we really are just straightening deck chairs on the Titanic."

"Mortality involves teeth to be brushed, beds to be made, cars to be repaired, diapers to be changed, groceries to be bought--such an endless array of mundane matters. In the midst of these, however, is the real business of living--a friendship to be formed, a marriage to be mended, a child to be encouraged, a truth to be driven home, an apology to be made, a Christian attribute to be further developed."

"Priesthood and motherhood are the perfect partnership!"

"When we speak of letting go of the world, this does not mean forgoing its sunsets, its beautiful music, nor, best of all, its people. The 'world' is a way of life that takes us away from, not toward, God. Away from, not toward, happiness. Away from sense to nonsense."

There are many, many more that I could have posted, but I recommend getting the book for yourself and finding your own collection of favorite quotes. I can guarantee you will find many!

No comments:

Post a Comment