Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Answers to Your Questions About the Doctrine and Covenants


Simultaneously with the previous book I posted about, I also read Answers to Your Questions About the Doctrine and Covenants by Richard O. Cowan. I purchased this book a number of years ago because I actually had Brother Cowan as my teacher at BYU for the third course in Church History.

This book reads like a FAQ section of a website. The author based this book on questions he has heard while teaching the Doctrine and Covenants. However, like most FAQ sites, there were many questions I had that were either glossed over or completely ignored. Of the questions that were answered, many had statements from Church leaders to support the answer, but many did not. I would prefer more citations and evidence.

Sadly, I have to conclude that this book will not necessarily make the Doctrine and Covenants easier to understand, though it might answer a question here or there. I would not recommend this book as a solitary reading guide, although there is some information that might be helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment