Tuesday, April 30, 2013

The Life Beyond

When my Grandma Lemley passed away, Lynn Sybrowsky gave me The Life Beyond by Robert L. Millet and Joseph Fielding McConkie. This was a very nice gift from her, and I read parts of it then. But not until the last couple days did I read the entire book.

A lot of the information in this book was not new to me. In fact, I had read much of it already in other books this year (without meaning to, I’ve apparently collected quite a few books on this same subject). This book deals with the spirit world, leading on to the resurrection and kingdoms of glory. Throughout this book, I collected a few nuggets of truth that I would like to share.

We often think and assume that those on the other side of the veil can see our every action. After all, we are taught that there are spirits all around us. However, the authors quote Charles W. Penrose and state that, just as we can’t see those in the spirit world, so likewise are they separated from us. And unless God wills it and permits it, they do not have contact with us. This was new a new teaching to me, but it makes sense. After all, in Life Everlasting, which I read earlier this year, there were many accounts where spirits in the spirit world asked how certain people were doing. If they were able to see everything going on with us, there would be no need to ask that question.

I have also heard it taught that when we cross to the other side of the veil, our memories will return. This is certainly false doctrine, for it would place everybody in the spirit world at an unfair advantage in hearing the Gospel. Therefore, the veil that is placed over our minds at birth is not entirely removed at death. In all likelihood, the veil will not be taken away completely until after the resurrection. The Lord has not yet revealed much on this subject.

Finally, I really liked a part towards the end where the authors declare that God is a successful parent. Just as Alonzo Gaskill states in his book Odds are You’re Going to be Exalted, they argue that God’s plan was created to save the majority of His children. It is capable of saving all of them, but still grants them their agency. God will truly save far more of His children than He will lose.

No comments:

Post a Comment