Monday, April 15, 2013

Kingdom Keepers VI: Dark Passage

I declared the fifth Kingdom Keepers book (Shell Shock) to be the biggest disappointment of 2012. I am very happy to say that in Kingdom Keepers VI: Dark Passage, Ridley Pearson has redeemed himself. This sixth book in the series was very intense, making me feel like I could not turn the pages fast enough. The ending of the book was more satisfying than the last, although not so satisfying that I am left with no questions. There is a lot that I still want to know about the characters.

A few books ago, we learned that Mickey Mouse has been kidnapped. Nothing has been said since then. I really hope this is addressed in the next book (which should take place in Disneyland. I am very excited about that). Also, the fate of the Disney Villains is very much left hanging in the air. I am intrigued. Also, Ariel mentions that the good characters have been fighting this battle for a long time, and they have their own magic. We have only received a taste of this in previous books. I am eager for more!

I also loved how this book addressed friendship and teamwork. Several times and in several places the characters talk about how they can do much more when they are together. I also liked its discussion of what it means to be a good guy. In one scene, two of the Kingdom Keepers have the chance to kill one of the villains. One of them really wants to, but the other refuses to do so, and is repulsed by the idea. This character states that to resort to killing makes the Keepers no better than the villains. This lesson is learned all too powerfully at the end of the book.

I am glad that this book was not a disappointment like the last one. I am genuinely looking forward to the next book, which sounds as though it will be the last. I hope the author can tie up all loose ends in a satisfactory way. This series has a lot going for it, and the sixth book plays its part well.

No comments:

Post a Comment